[C320-list] Hose Connection Between Main Bilge and Packing Gland Sump

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Thu May 11 12:49:40 PDT 2017

Dave, I have a white PVC pipe connecting draining the packing gland area to the bilge and the PVC pipe entering the fiberglass grid cross member that is just aft of the bilge pump area. If my memory is correct, some (but not all) of those cross members are hollow as evidence by the wiring you can see running in some of those cross members by looking for the wire that enters/exits the storage areas under the cushion seating areas on both sides of the main cabin.

It may be possible to connect the PVC pipe under your engine pan with a flexible hose if you can position a flexible hose that is lubed up to slide up on the engine pan pipe and connect that flexible hose to  another to a PVC pipe inlet that you could install  to run into and then thru  the grid member that dumps into your pump bilge section. If you could install a pipe on the bilge side,  a strong adhesive sealant could do the trick to seal off the installed inlet that could extend into the main bilge. A call into Gerry may yield other options and knowledge about whether the fiberglass hull grid cross member encases a wood beam.  It seems  the hull design intention was to route the water from the packing gland area directly to the bilge from all of the hull grid diagrams I observed for shallow bilge hulls. The best strategy is to keep the hull surface below the fiberglass bilge liner free from moisture, especially from lake or sea water.
Rick