[C320-list] Hose Connection Between Main Bilge and Packing Gland Sump

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat May 13 14:57:57 PDT 2017

Dave, I suspect you are dealing with a construction defect. On our #62, in the bilge there are three hoses passing through the aft stringer in the bilge: black hose (stbd,) gray flex hose (center,) white flex hose (port.) You may see pictures of this at http://c320.org/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20091108205043988

The black hose to stbd drains both the refer and shaft alley. I assume the two sources are joined by a "Y" connection under the galley floor as water poured into either flows to the bilge pump. While the hard designs seem rather consistent from year to year, how the plumbing and wiring was done seems to change.

I have, over the years, wrestled with water getting into the space between the hull and liner. I've solved most of them. Some events can't be predicted. This Spring, I'm finding engine antifreeze in that space. It's from an engine coolant hose that leaked into the engine sump over the course of the Winter. It shouldn't leave that sump; but, where the cables to the engine enter the sump only a short distance above the floor of the sump, the AF seeped through there into the hull space. In the past I tried to seal that area; but, access is tough and there is no direct line of sight.

A while ago, based on a post on this list, I bought a round access port with the intent of installing it in the galley deck under the ladder as someone previously did. I've yet to do this; but, it is still a good idea. Perhaps, you could consider such an access. It might allow you to connect the refer and shaft alley drain with a simple "Y"  Do, please, keep us informed.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay