[C320-list] Head hatch passive vent

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 08:37:09 PST 2017

This week, I installed a passive vent on my head hatch lens.  Finding a
vent that would fit this hatch was quite the hunt, thought I'd share if it
were to help others interested in a head vent.

I have a Bromar hatch on my head that is 9x9, and the raise cross bar goes
almost in the middle of the lens, also fighting for space is the locking
dog ear.  It's a challenge to find a vent that will mount on the lens.

Lewmar has a a retro fit mini vent (part number 361899991 for black,
361899991-0 for grey, https://www.lewmar.com/node/12015?v=27143), that just
fits.

Lewmar has the part listed as not available, but after talking to them on
the phone, they said place an order with a distributor, and that would
trigger a manufacture of the item.  I ordered at West Marine in a store, I
think the cost was about $65, 5 weeks later, vent arrived for pick up.

The vent comes with sheet metal screws that screw in from under lens into a
captured cap on top of lens.  But the top cap also has 4 counter sunk caps
that can be drilled out.  I spoke with Lewmar and they said either mount is
fine, they slightly prefer the caps drilled out, but you need a sealant.

So, I went with the counter sunk install, and drilled out the caps, used 4
M5x30 stainless machine flathead screws, with M5 nut, M5 washer, M5 lock
nut, and a nylon rubber washer that sits between the washer and the lens.
I used some marine compass butyl tape wrapped around the top threads of the
screw for the sealant.  Project required a 3" hole saw, and lightly sanding
the edges of the hole after cut.

The vent is of good quality.  Has a damper you can close/open from
underneath.  Overall, happy with the product, and nice to have some
moisture/fumes relief from the head.  Should be nice to have on the hot
days visiting the boat when it hasn't been used in a week.
If you'd like to see some pics, I have some at: https://www.instagram.com/p/
BbQsafhjaMB/ Hover over the pic, and you'll see an arrow on the right side
of the pic to click for more in the series.

Christian Caperton
1994 C320 "Canuck" #138
Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL