[C320-list] How fast have you sailed

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Sep 4 11:39:18 PDT 2017

Right, theoretical hull speed on our boat is somewhere around 7.2kts (~8.3mph).  I'd believe you can go a little bit faster under ideal conditions maybe in the 7.5kt range through very flat water with clean hull and aftermarket sails.  8.5kts?  I highly doubt there is any way to sustain that kind of speed in the C320 under sail.  I'd have to see some proof that the kt meter was calibrated using timed, measured nautical mile runs on a lake where there is no current or tide.  The knot meters can be calibrated with GPS speed over ground using fixed distance (1 kt mile) timed runs both down and back then averaged.  On a calm flat day you can do this with engine power at a fixed speed and get a more accurate calibration.

Some exceptions to this might be if you had high tech racing sails and really know how to tune the heck out of them. I've seen people sail pretty fast in a 320 but not that fast!

We often see mid 7's kts on the GPS (VMG) in ocean in flat conditions with good wind using *tidal* currents to assist, but true through the water speed is rarely over 7.5kts sustained for any length of time. We also surfed down a big wave or two and saw 15kts on the way down, but that doesn't count since it cannot be sustained once the following wave passes and half the crew needed to change their underwear after that.

I will say that we ran home from Nantucket one year with Hurricane Bill blowing 38+kts on the port quarter behind us and of course following seas.  We had the fastest sail home.  Lots of surfing, full sails but speed through the water never really went much over 7.5kts for more than a few seconds at a time, followed by a dip in speed when the wave passed.  You could clearly see the bow wave we were building up in front of us when we reached that speed.  It was a glorious and relaxing sail and the poor dude going the other direction was getting the snot pounded out of him.  Note: We're usually *that* guy...

The Polar charts for the 320 are about relative speeds through the water.  Ie, close reaching is slower than running on a broad reach.   You can pretty much completely disregard the actual speed numbers themselves.  Those actual speeds are unattainable.  If you follow the polars, they show that the fastest point of sail is with wind coming in 120 degrees off the nose (Stern quarter).  Actually wind coming in on the port quarter is better because of the boat's natural port list.

I once sailed along with another boat that I kept catching and passing.  At one point we turned around and went the other direction to kill a bit of time to stay together.  He mentioned that he was surprised how fast our boat was because he was flying along at 9kts much of the time.  Just smile and nod at that point.  LOL!

Fastest my boat's ever been?  ~75mph down the interstate.  :)

My $.02 of course...
-Jeff Hare