[C320-list] Festoon Lighting

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 5 14:32:00 PDT 2017

We replaced our cabin festoon bulbs with LEDs from marinebeam.com 7 years ago. They were all 42mm. We put cool white (90 lumens) in the 2 aft corners for reading positions, and warm white (72 lumens) in the rest. We replaced the fixtures in the aft cabin with new LED fixtures. We have been very happy with this. Together with the LED anchor light current consumption is drastically reduced. 7 years is a long time and I'm sure there is lots more competition today, and even technology improvements like higher lumen output. I was sold at the time after reading MarineBeam's Technical page and especially the piece on constant-current issue at  store.marinebeam.com/constant-current-1. MarineBeam is a supplier of LED bulbs to Sailorssolutions.com (note all 4 S's in the URL)

Christian, if you have the same cabin fixtures we do (you probably do,) I don't think the 9-LED will fit them. The lumens on our bulbs were less than those from lunasealighting; but, we are satisfied with the amount of light. I don't think you'll be unhappy with the 107 lumen cool white LEDs.

As for using silicone grease, I'm thinking that is dielectric not conductive. I use a conductive grease for such connections. Either way works.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay