[C320-list] Jib roller furling line length

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sat Sep 9 09:49:21 PDT 2017

I would winch a furling line only under desperate circumstances. If you
can't pull it in by hand after unloading the sail (turning downwind if
needed) then the furler is jammed, possibly due to a halyard wrap.
Winching under those circumstances can seriously damage the rig. The
forestay on my first boat had been badly damaged by previous owner who
likely winched the furling line when the furler was jammed. Instead of
furling the jib they unwound the wire strands at the top of the
forestay, compromising the strength of the rig. In my case the swage at
the top of the mast held, but the entire forestay had to be replaced.

My experience is that if you are having trouble furling then you need to
clean out the gunk that accumulates inside the furler. I am always
amazed at how much sand and grit comes out when I flush the furler out.

Scott Thompson

Surprise, #653 (1999)