[C320-list] Fuel Tank

GREG SUTTON sutt47 at msn.com
Mon Sep 25 14:55:48 PDT 2017

I just did that procedure last winter after reading all the horror stories about leaking fuel tanks and having a touchy sending unit.  Really is was pretty easy to do on Liberty (1994 #128).

  *   Burn up as much fuel as possible or suction it out the fill port.
  *   Remove the wood shelves in the starboard locker (a lot of screws)
  *   Disconnect the wires and hoses. (not a easy task in the small space
  *   Remove the strap the holds down the tank.
  *   If your tank was like mine there wasn’t an inspection port so you have to man handle the tank around so you can get to the fuel gauge sending unit and remove that. (more small screws)
  *   I bought one of the battery powered hand suction pumps ($15) which can reach into the very lower corner of the tank and suction out any remaining fuel.
  *   Once the tank is empty it is pretty light and although it is a very tight fit it can be removed through the seat hatch opening.
  *   Funny thing is Liberty is located up on Lake Ontario and the fit was so tight I could get it out in the warm fall but had to wait until it was warm again in the spring again to get it to go back in.
The only real problem was hanging into in the rear storage locker or actually getting down into the space underneath to disconnect all the wires and hoses.  I am 6 ft. 4 inches an it was  a really tight squeeze.
Greg