[C320-list] windlass

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 06:35:48 PDT 2018

 One trick that I use for the horizontal oil filter once it is loosened with a filter wrench is to grab it through a quart ziploc.  You can scooch the lip of the open end of the ziploc mostly underneath the filter touching the engine.  As you loosen and it starts to ooze most (not all) of the oil will get caught by that ziploc lip and drain into the bag.  And once it finally comes loose altogether you turn the bag+filter 90 degrees so that it is upright with the open end at the top.  Then you can deposit it into whatever container you've readied to hold it.  I don't bother zipping the ziploc but I suppose you could.  In fairness, it sounds easier than it is because once oil starts oozing into the bag, the bag gets slippery inside and it is harder to turn the filter through the slippery bag.  It is doable but takes patience.
Using this approach, I've not bothered with pads on the engine pan because there are only a few drips & drizzles which I can wipe up with a paper towel or two.
 Bill Culbertson C320IA Secretary/Treasurer "Harmony" #859