[C320-list] New member/basic question

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed Aug 1 19:38:11 PDT 2018

Hi Jack,

Congratulations on the new boat!

Few tips for cleaning the salon cushions and mattress cushions.  The interior cushions are all zippered and the foam can be removed for cleaning if done very carefully.  If they're really dirty this is worth doing.

* NOTE: The factory uses a vacuum technique for getting the foam inside the covers.  They don't just try to stuff them inside.  Good news is that you can do this super easily yourself.  I describe it below and link to a video that is similar to what I do.

* Make sure you keep close track of which cushions go with which covers.  Don't mix them up and be sure you know which orientation the foam goes in.  You may want to write on the foam.

* If you want to restore the loft of foam that may be packed down, use an inexpensive fabric steamer.  This will cause the foam to loft back out to very nearly its original size. We do this all the time when reupholstering boat seats. In some cases you'll see as much as an extra inch of loft being restored.  But let them dry fully.

* The covers can be washed in a large tub with woolite and warm water.  Rinse them well and let them dry.  Don't use the dryer for this, but when they're 90% dry or so, you could put them in the dryer on gentle for a couple minutes to help release wrinkles.

* To put the covers back on, you'll need the following:
  - a vacuum cleaner (small shop vac or similar).  Doesn't need to be very powerful.
  - you need either "silk film" or from home depot in the painting department, get the thinnest plastic sheeting you can find that is as light or lighter than dry cleaner bags.

* lay the foam over a large piece of the plastic and overlap the sides and back.  Don't need to tape it or anything. Put the shop vac hose on the edge where the cover zipper would go and wrap the plastic around the hose.  Turn on the vac and it'll shrink the foam down to a tiny slab that should be very easy to slide into the cover. Remove the vacuum and zip up the cover quickly while working the cover so that the foam fills it out properly.  See this video to get an idea of how we do it in our shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfjXlyiw7d8

When the cushion is all back together properly, spray it with 3M Scotch Guard to help prevent future stains and liquids from soaking in.

I'd suggest starting with one of the small vberth cushions to get a feel for this process.

Cheers!
-Jeff Hare