[C320-list] Alternator question

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 6 14:44:05 PDT 2018

The Alternator on my Yanmar 3GM30F is a Japanese Hitachi IC RegLR155-20       12V- 55A
Does anybody know if this will charge AGM batteries?  I assume it is regulated internally.
My thoughts:
1. Replace both Lead Acid with AGMs.2. Change the Xantrex Shore power charger "settings" from LA to AGM.3. Install new Solar panel(s) with controller and monitor (Large enough to charge and maintain)    2. May include start battery (Dual charger off main bank)

I am wondering if we can use the same alternator and just see how it does (Given our usage).???  Then... if we don't get to shore power enough or the solar panel can't top it off...  we can replace the Alternator with new Regulator.
If we simply "have to" replace it now, then fine.  But if it just means it will require more motoring, then we can decide at that point if we increase Alternator and/or bring along a portable Generator.
Thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538    C (919)-618-7185