[C320-list] Perkins Engine Leak - little help needed - Redux

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 18 10:19:59 PDT 2018

Thinking I should replace the 24 yr old coolant recovery hose, I went to 6 stores with no luck (2 marine, 1 hardware, 3 auto.) Found a source online (rockauto.com) but couldn't get before next planned cruise. Decided to cut ends from existing hose and reinstall with ss screw clamps. Ran engine to find water leaking from raw water pump. Cleaned mating edges of cover and installed new gasket I just happened to have on-hand. No more leak.
Unresolved: Why was overflow bottle empty? Why was I seeing what appeared to be coolant in the engine sump, maybe diluted with water from the pump?
Aah, the the joys of owning an aging sailboat.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)