[C320-list] Dripless Shaft Seal

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Wed Aug 22 05:42:33 PDT 2018

Thanks to everyone who provided help with my question about stern tube size. I wanted to report back that on my 1994 Catalina, I used kit # 07-100-134R which I purchased from PYI. This kit is for a 1” shaft and 1-3/4” stern tube. However, the previously installed bellow had a reducer, which I did not realize when I ordered my kit so I failed to order one myself. The guys at PYI said I could re-use the reducer from the previous kit (they suggested application of rubber cement), which is what I did to save myself the expense of overnight shipping. When I installed the reducer, there was a nice, tight seal and I had no leaks on my return trip from the yard.

Additionally, the method suggested by Jeff Hare (tighten the collets on the Strut Pro Tool so the shaft moves with the cutless bearing and obviates the need to disengage the coupler) did not work for me (I did not have time to let PB Blaster soak in the set screw holes overnight). I separated the coupler, and on my boat (Perkins engine), there was enough room between the transmission and the shaft to get the flange puller inserted and pull the flange. The Strut Pro Tool is amazing, though, in how it removes and re-installs the cutless bearing. Thank you to the Association for this service.

Finally, I have a 3-blade Max-Prop courtesy of the previous owner, and a regular automotive 3-jaw puller worked great to remove the propeller hub. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Cheers,
Jeff, 1994 #121