[C320-list] Freedom 20 charger/invertor

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:10:34 PDT 2018

Nat, in all likelihood, your Freedom 20 is a Ferro-Resonant type charger not digital. I've read that such chargers are mostly 2-stage chargers, and because of their design, may require 24 hrs. to fully recharge batteries. Undercharging or leaving partially discharged batteries for a period will (over time) cause the battery to sulfate and fail to charge back to the full capacity. On the downside, a ferro-resonant charger will, after fully charging, continue to hit your battery with a small current as long as it is left on. This "...continuing trickle charge ...is high enough to slowly boil away the water or dry out the electrolyte in any unused battery that is left permanently connected..." (per Nigel Calder.) With 2 4D batteries costing as much or more than some newer digital chargers, it might make sense to replace it.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)