[C320-list] Freedom 20 replacement

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Wed Dec 19 17:23:20 PST 2018

Nat,

I just replaced a 30 amp charger in my 94. I installed a Pronautic 40 amp based on recommendations from the group. The only issues I experienced were that the mounting holes did not line up, and the A/C inlet wires were much thicker gauge (8 AWG I believe) for the old charger and they would not physically fit in the housing for the new charger (required 14 AWG). I soldered 12 AWG to the 8 AWG and used that for my connection, but I believe Jeff Hare said never to solder stranded wire. He suggested a terminal block to make the step down in wire AWG. I will go back and update my installation this spring.

Other than that, the switch was straightforward. My charger is in the Aft Port locker.

Hope this helps. A few others here have also swapped chargers. I am very happy with the Pronautic, by the way.

Jeff
‘94, #121, Sailmates

Sent from my iPhone