[C320-list] Westerbeke 30B noise and engine mounts

Tony Belton tbelton at gwrr.com
Wed Dec 26 17:09:12 PST 2018

Hi All,
I have a WB 30B in my 320, hull #251. The original engine mounts were replaced before I bought the boat with a Polyflex unit, which has a hard polymer centre. I am getting a reasonable amount of vibration between 1500 and 2400 RPM, in neutral as well as in gear. The engine is smooth at 2500rpm +. I cannot move the engine by hand on the mounts. Are the original units a "soft" mount which allows you to move the engine slightly? I think these "hard" mounts also transfer noise through to the hull, I'm disappointed with the amount of noise I'm getting, even since soundproofing the engine box.
I had a 2GM20 Yanmar in my last boat (unsoundproofed), which didn't make any more noise than the Westerbeke.
Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tony,
Adelaide, South Australia.

Tony Belton | Transport Controller
Genesee & Wyoming Australia Pty Ltd
1 Kidman Rd Dry Creek | PO Box 309, Marleston DC SA 5033
Email: tbelton at gwrr.com<mailto:tbelton at gwrr.com> | Direct: +61 8 8343 7606 | Fax: +61 8 8343 7335
Website: www.gwrr.com<http://www.gwrr.com/>
If you are not the intended recipient of this email please advise the sender and destroy immediately