[C320-list] New Main Sail

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 2 08:09:56 PST 2018

Agreed - personal preference.
Ours came rigged for Dutchman but the lines were broken and 1 disk was missing. (Chafe disk through hole in sail).  Disk was about 15 bucks each... for a piece of dang plastic, engineered but still a piece of plastic.  I wanted to see how it really works.
I can only speak to Dutchman.  Takes some getting used to.  Takes time to get everything setup (Topping line twist, "Cars" aligned just right, etc..).  Once it is set though things work pretty well.  You have to get used to using it though, like most things. Example: You have to slack it to raise the sail then remember to tighten before you drop it.  Once you do it a few times it becomes second nature.  It is nice to drop the sail and not have it all over the cabin top.
Like Karl said though, personal preference.  To me it would be nice to just drop and forget about it. Haven't heard of anything the does that.  Even furling mains need specific procedures to roll them up or they jam. ( I hear from fellow sailors) No matter what you do you have trade-offs. Dutchman has a couple of extra steps but sail is mostly gathered for you.
Another thing (I hear) is Dutchmans work best with new sails.  If you "train" the sail, it almost flakes itself. (Again... I heard).  Our sail is original and it still kind of goes where it wants but it stays on the boom and we flake it "properly" later.  Flaking is easier too since it stays on the boom.
To me it's better than nothing. In an emergency I can tighten the topping lift and let loose the Main sheet and the sail will say on the boom even if we fall off. With practice, to me, emergency dousing is quicker with some sort of system.   It still flops around but it doesn't re-fill as bad in a hard blow.  My wife normally gathers the sail (she wants/likes to) so, to me,  having it on the boom helps her out.
Know nothing about Sailpacks.
2 cents.
Thanks,
Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538     C (919)-618-7185