[C320-list] Stuck Steering Wheel

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Feb 16 07:39:26 PST 2018

Hi John,

Hard to imagine a gear puller didn't work.  But, try again, this way.

1. Wrap a ziplock baggie full of ice and a bit of saltwater around the hub
to freeze the hub, shaft and key.
2. After 20 min or so put a decent sized gear puller on and crank it down
quite tight, make sure the jaws are on the back side of the hub and aren't
catching the large washer that is sometimes on the back side.
3. Take a mapp-pro or propane torch and gently and evenly heat the hub (try
to avoid heating the shaft itself).
4. While doing that, very gently tap the hub between the spokes with a small
steel hammer (don't dent it, just tap tap tap tap).  The vibrations, change
in size from the heat and the pressure from the gear puller will cause it to
break free.

This almost never fails.   Then polish the shaft and inside of the hub with
220 grit paper and coat it with TefGel anti-seize gel and forget about it.

-Jeff Hare