[C320-list] Dinghy Davits

Gene Helfman genehelfman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 13:35:45 PST 2018

We've sailed with custom made davits on #398 Satori for 4 years; won't go
back.  We tow when we're only going short distances, but anything longer
and especially in open water, the dinghy gets hoisted up.  Much less
anxiety.  Unexpected pro: nice place to toss fenders, and dinghy becomes
good protection against careless folks in marinas.

Cons that surprised us:
 1. Depending on set-up, swim step inaccessible without moving dinghy.
2. When dinghy fills with rain (which adds to weight), some gymnastics are
required to pull the plug to drain it (and also to remember to put the plug
back in before lowering).
3. View out the stern is obscured.  Also complicates trolling for fish, or
at least bringing them on board.
4. if you think of your dinghy as your life raft, arrangements have to be
made for quick release.  We haven't figured that one out yet.
5.  The davits plus dinghy ("overhang") adds to your length and costs at
pay-by-the-foot marinas.

But the pros definitely outweigh these.

--
Gene Helfman, Professor Emeritus
Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia
    genehelfman at gmail.com

*I'm a mad scientist.  And I'm growing madder with each passing day.*