[C320-list] Dinghy Davits

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 10:28:48 PST 2018

Thanks Jeff for all the details and insight.

"Only using them for solar panels?  Well, wouldn't you be better off
mounting them on rails above your bimini?"

That assumes I have a bimini, which I don't.  Due to the few number of days
where it's hot enough to require one in Chicago, and how I like as much sun
as I can get due to our winters, haven't felt the need for a bimini.  Hence
why I'm been looking at davits, with the plus that should I ever require
dinghy storage, I would have that.  Though the chance of using a dinghy in
near future is low.  What I also like is with the davits, and panels
mounted there, I can leave my batteries on the boat over the winter while
maintaining charge, so I don't have to break my back carrying them off
during winter.

I wasn't aware Garhauer made them in custom lengths.  I'll check desired
length, etc.  I'm hearing you on the davits too low vs too high with the
visibility risks, etc.  A normal mount should work, and I believe I can get
panels mounted higher for head clearance with a set up I'm looking at.

Been in talks with a guy who mounted his on the davits like this, with
parts sourced from marinepartdepot.com (yes, am aware some people have had
difficulty with orders from this place, few times I've ordered I did
receive exactly what I ordered in a very timely manner though, ymmv though).

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?attachments/pict0005-jpg.36108/
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?attachments/pict0001-jpg.36106/

-Christian