[C320-list] Solar panels and shading

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 29 14:04:38 PST 2018

I don't have a solar panel so I'm lurking on this thread. What you call the "hatch garage cover" I assume is the sea cover. I did find the imbedded wires where they exit in the battery locker under the settee. In my manual, there are several diagrams re. installing a solar panel on/in place of the sea hood. To access the wiring channel, there are dimensions shown on the diagram of where to drill to find the wires. You drill down into the channel a distance back from the fwd edge; but, I couldn't read the numbers. Also, "earlier" models the channel is port side, later models on stbd side. As ours is #62, not sure what is meant by "older models."

Solar panels are rated in a laboratory not in the real world. Not only shading, but the angle of the sun affects efficiency. Virtually no solar panel on a boat is going to deliver rated capacity. At least, not all day. Enough people are using them with mostly satisfaction, so the loss of power can't be a major hit.

We have an upgraded alternator and battery monitor. No other source away from the dock. With the refer on 24 hrs, we will use about 50A from the time we drop anchor till we pull it. Once, we had to sit a week on a mooring due to weather. We ran the engine about 1-2 hrs in am, and that was enough to carry us over. (We have all LED lights on the boat.)

Just saying,
Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay