[C320-list] Solar panels and shading

Greg Flanagan greg.flanagan at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 31 09:54:58 PST 2018

Just add my Canadian nickel’s worth.

About 4 years ago I installed a GoPower system, including the 30 amp controller and their 140 watt aluminum framed panel (now 160W). I had to add a perpendicular tube to my Bimini frame to which the panel was attached. The wiring was straight forward by taking it down my arch frame and into the hull on the port side with a clam cleat. From there the wires ran through the cockpit locker and through the galley cabinets directly to the wooden electronics panel forward of the electrical panel. I cut a hole in this panel for the regulator and attached the wires from the solar panel. Then I ran a single wire (#10 red) under the floor across to the positive battery buss to charge the battery.  All very easy and neat. The regulator is grounded at the electrical panel.

This system provides up to 10 amps and is sufficient to run the fridge (5 amps when running and everything else. I rarely plug in to shore power in the summer even when I can. This saves a lot of money especially, for example, when in the Broughtons where shore power runs $30 a night. I have a Balmar Smartgauge to monitor my battery SOC. I have all LED lights so little load from lighting.  I have never run the engine to charge batteries even  at anchor for up to a week at a time.

Subsequently, last season, I bought, a Torqueedo electric motor for my dingy. I also bought a 50 watt flexible panel to charge this battery independently of my house battery ($80 on Amazon) . I just attach this panel to my lifelines when docked or at anchor and connect directly to the Torqueedo battery (it has a built-in regulator). I have bought a parallel connector (not tried yet) to add the extra 50W panel to my house system in the same way when I don’t need it for the dingy motor.

Solar is the way to go!

Cheers,

Greg
Hoop Dancer #1076