[C320-list] Batteries

Mark Seyler mseyler at cox.net
Wed Jul 11 11:48:20 PDT 2018

>From my experience, battery selection is very dependent on individual use.  I have replaced my 4Ds twice in about 7 1/2 years (once when I first bought the boat, the second time this past winter.)  Each time I went with Interstate 4Ds that cost me around $200-$225 each.  For my use they have been fine, but I mostly day-sail, and am on shore power when not sailing.

If your use is like mine, then increasing your total amp-hour capacity by upgrading to AGMs may not bring you much benefit.  If you cruise extensively, or are on a mooring without access to shore power, the higher total capacity and the ability of the AGMs to accept higher bulk charge rates (and therefore recharge faster) may be very worthwhile.  What kind of sailing do you do?  Did you run into power limitations from the old wet cell batteries?  Even if you did, you might get as much benefit out of adding a dedicated starting battery, so you could wire your 2 house batteries in parallel, and effectively double the capacity of the house bank.

As far as your alternator, the OEM alternator on my 1995 #232 is a Lucas 55 amp.  Those alternators are not designed to run at max capacity constantly, and replacing with AGMs could potentially burn it up.  Even if it survived, the alternator wouldn't be able to supply the higher bulk charge rates to take full advantage of the AGMs.  (Alternator efficiency goes down as temperature goes up, and it wouldn't even deliver 55 amps for long.)  If you have a similar alternator, consider an upgrade if you also change to AGMs.  But I think I have read posts by some owners suggesting you might have to modify the alternator mount, and/or run into space problems in the motor box.

I hope this helps some.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality, #232