[C320-list] Perkins M30 Raw Water Pump

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 09:29:46 PDT 2018

 Mark-
I'm not sure why you bought both a rebuild kit and a new pump.  I had the seawater pump for my 1994 Perkins Perama M30 engine rebuilt by Depco  Pump Company http://depcopump.com/ for about $277 total (would have been less, but the shaft was scored and needed to be replaced which was the most costly item).  I was concerned about the new pump model you mentioned, but see at https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-perama-m30-raw-water-pump/  that it replaced the original Jabsco model 29450-1101. So, it should work (also, the one you bought apparently for $260 was cheaper than my rebuilt one).

The pump removal is indeed easy....just remove the 4 bolts and it will pull off/out (it may take a little careful prying).  Pay attention to the orientation. There is a big gear attached to the end of the pump shaft that the engine drives to pump the water.  That gear will come out with the pump.  I assume you expect to be able to transfer that gear to your new pump shaft?  I don't know how easy that is since Depco did that for me.
Reinstallation is easy.  Just slowly align the pump to the engine mount.  You may need to rotate the pump slowly as you insert the gear into the engine cavity to get the teeth lined up with the matching gear inside the engine. I oiled the gear (with diesel engine oil) before installation. There is a large o-ring that seals between the pump mount and the engine block.  Did you get that with the new pump? Make sure you have a new one before you do this job.
I can send you some photos separately if you would like.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 (#32)
Holland, MI