[C320-list] Intermittent coolant leak

Onat Dogruer onatdogruer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:08:45 PDT 2018

Sara,

I am not at the boat right now but if my memory serves me right, there
is a coolant drain valve right above the fuel pump in that area you
are describing. Could it be that it is not closing properly?
Sounds like the leak is only happening when the engine is hot and
coolant is pressurized(expanding) with heat. I would begin the process
of elimination by getting to full temperature at the dock. When the
engine is on, you will have to wait until it is at normal running
temperature (~160F on ours) and the thermostat opens. The coolant will
begin to heat up at the engine block and once the heated coolant
starts circulating back to heat-exchanger, you may start to see
'spray'. Careful - the coolant is going to be hot at that time. Just a
thought..

Onat
1998, #546