[C320-list] Intermittent coolant leak

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:49:41 PDT 2018

Wow, great catch Dave, I interpreted the always dry comment to mean there
was no coolant leak over there at the expansion tank.

Sara,

IF you meant there is no coolant in the tank you need to open the radiator
cap when the engine is cool and fill the heat exchanger to the top with
coolant. (Never open a radiator when the engine is hot, severe burns are
likely)    You should also fill the overflow to the "min" mark on the
expansion tank and then run your engine until warm and watch to see if
there is more coolant in this tank when the engine is warm.  The level
should rise since the coolant in your engine will expand  into the
expansion tank.    If it doesn't rise, then you probably still have air in
your freshwater system.  When the engine cools it will suck coolant out of
the overflow and back into the engine.  You should repeat this process
until the level in the expansion tank remains about the same once cool.
Of course...you'll have to find your coolant leak for this to happen.
Also, before you add coolant to your system, you'll want to make sure you
have the right coolant.    The coolant is most likely a DEXCOOL product
(generally orange, but not always).   If it is another color, you'll have
to figure out what product is in there and try to get a match.   Mixing
products can be bad if they are significantly different.  (e.g. Ethylene
Glycol products...generally green...but not always).   If you do find "the
green stuff" in there, I think most folks would tell you to do a full
system flush and replace the green stuff with the orange stuff, but you can
probably save that project until you figure out your leak.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful with the leak itself.   It looks like that post
didn't make it to the list because of the picture size.

Troy