[C320-list] Intermittent coolant leak

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 16:15:31 PDT 2018

 Sara-
I do not have your engine (mine is Perkins M30), but I offer a few comments as "food for thought".
1.  Normally you should have some coolant in your overflow tank.....it should not be dry!  There should be a "low" mark on the overflow tank.  You should add properly mixed coolant to the overflow tank to this "low" level mark when the engine is cool. 2. What is the level of coolant (with engine cool) in your heat exchanger tank (you said you replaced the radiator cap, so I hope  you confirmed it is full enough)?  Are you overheating slightly and the engine expelling minor coolant (which should go to the overflow tank)?3.  Check the small diameter fluid tubing that runs to the overflow tank from just under the lip where the radiator cap sits.  Maybe the hose is loose (clamp loose), or the hose is cracked and fluid is seeping there rather than getting to your overflow tank. Replacing this hose would be inexpensive and easy.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 "Mayan Sun" (#32)
Holland, MI