[C320-list] Calibrating/Aligning Raymarine ST50 Windvane

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:19:08 PDT 2018

If you have a mechanical wind vane on your mast top, that is what I use as a guide in aligning the instrument (until this big-ass osprey sat on and broke it.) Simply steer into the wind until the vane is dead-on the bow, then in "Cal" mode, use the rocker to move the needle left or right until it aligns with the vane. Without the wind vane, steer into the wind using a ribbon or some light material tied to a shroud or stay until wind is on the nose, then adjust the instrument. It doesn't need to be 100% unless you are racing, in which case you need a faster boat anyway.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)