[C320-list] Catalina 320; interior varnish refinish

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Sat Jun 2 15:06:01 PDT 2018

The colour difference is 100% due to water based vs solvent!
I have refinished most of my interior woodwork using a water based exterior satin varnish and it stays the same (in my opinion, pleasing) light colour
I previously used a solvent based varnish on the companionway steps (thinking it needed to be tougher) and the wood is much darker. After that I experimented on some scrap wood and discovered the different effects
I just made a cockpit table and have done the best of both worlds. I sealed the table initially with water based which keeps the light colour and have then used Epifanes solvent based  on top to get a good hard wearing surface
Graeme
#366, 1996

Sent from mobile: please excuse typos etc.!