[C320-list] Fuel gauge

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 20:33:20 PDT 2018

I’ve replaced sending units in a couple of Catalina boats in the past.  It’s not a specialty item.  You can buy a new sending unit at your local West Marine store or other chandlery.  The key thing is to get the length of the rod to the float right.  If you were happy with the way the old one was working, you can pull it out and simply measure the length, then cut the new one to match.  It’s a pretty easy job.  Replace the gasket on the connection at the top and put some silicone grease on it to insure a good seal.  Tighten the screws evenly and don’t over-do it and strip one out.  The one job I would consider while you have the sending unit out, is to take a hand siphon and suck out the low point end of the tank at the very bottom.  That’s where any water / gunk will accumulate.  Mine only had a little bit of junk, then all I could siphon out was good clean diesel.  Again, easy to do and good peace of mind afterward.  Best of luck!

Joe Luciano
Second Wind - 2005 Catalina 320