[C320-list] Lifeline Replacement Guidelines - Pelican Hooks Forward

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Sun Jun 17 05:17:33 PDT 2018

> Questions:
>
>    1. What is the approximate time range for lifelines? 15 years? I'm
>    seeing a bit of rust in the swages.

At 15 years your lifelines could probably do with replacement if you expect
them to work in a life threatening situation.

>    2. Stainless or PVC coated? Why to you like Stainless?

See
https://theyachtrigger.com/sailboat-lifelines-plastic-coated-vs-uncoated-pvc
-coated-vs-bare/ for one view.  Note that the ISAF referred to in the
article is now called World Sailing and is the governing body for the sport
of sailing world wide and recognised as such by the Olympic and Para Olympic
organisations.

So the preference is for stainless and the ruling body of the sport requires
it if you are going to be racing unless there is some local exemption or
grandfathering clause applicable to where you race.

Regards,

Stephen Cox
C320 Tegwen #1141