[C320-list] New Trial Post

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Tue Jun 19 14:36:55 PDT 2018

Dave, if you (or someone else) use an email reader that displays
messages as "threads" or "conversations" then the linking of emails with
completely different subject lines is often going to show up if the new
subject is actually a reply to an older email. The software is linking
the emails based on identifiers in the headers that you never look at.
Those do not get deleted when you delete the entire content and subject
of a reply, and that is why you are seeing this behavior. I usually use
Thunderbird and you can turn this feature on or off. (I leave it off,
largely because of the issue you bring up.) I don't think it has
anything to do with which email address you send the message to. The key
is to start a new email from scratch when you want to introduce a new
subject. That will start a new "thread" for those who are viewing emails
in threaded mode.

If you use Thunderbird, you can select View | Sort by | Unthreaded to
turn off threaded view. In Outlook, uncheck "Show as Conversations" in
View | Messages. That will fix your view, but not the view seen by
others. To do that, you need to actually start a new thread by starting
the email from scratch.

Scott Thompson