[C320-list] Catalina 320; interior varnish refinish

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jun 22 07:29:42 PDT 2018

Use the Target product.  The whole boat interior is water based.  Target is so superior to Minwax Polycrylic and produces a much better finish, especially if you're blending in with the existing finish.  Polycrylic isn't bad, it's just not nearly as good.

Regardless of which you use, I'd suggest that you stir (not shake) it thoroughly, pour a small amount through a fine paint strainer into a small clean plastic container with a lid and only paint from that container, not the can and never pour the leftover back into the can.  I rinsed the strainer and reused it throughout the project.

If I recall correctly, first coat or two on any bare wood areas was diluted ~5%.
Use a high quality brush synthetic bristles.
Vertical surfaces need very light coats starting at the top of the wall with bottom-up brush strokes going up into wet edge.
I lightly sanded between each coat with 400, washed off the dust and reapply.
It dries so fast, you'll be able to do a lot of light coats in one day.

-Jeff Hare