[C320-list] Dripless shaft???

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 05:27:18 PDT 2018

I’ve used it for a decade. The few drips under power pass under the engine and evaporate before reaching the bilge. If you buy it in the 1/4” size at an industrial supply (GFO steam valve packing) it’s about one third of the price at marine store.

Wrap around once, cut through the end and the bight at forty five degrees so that the end overlap evenly in a taper. Do two rings making sure the splices are offset ninety degrees from each other and tighten the stuffing box firmly to seat them. Unscrew the nut and install a third ring again offsetting the splice.

Snug up the nut lightly. When you’re back in the water, loosen until it drips ( you may need to run the engine in gear if you snugged it too much) then snug it until the drip just stops. Properly adjusted, there should be no drip at rest and one or two drips per minute running.

Should be YouTube videos of the process.

Best Regards,
Chris Burti
Commitment 867