[C320-list] Dripless shaft???

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Jun 25 05:40:17 PDT 2018

We've had GFO in for 8 or 9 years now.  You can get it on Amazon, and other places.  There are knockoff "gortex" kinds.  Don't have any firsthand experience with those so can't comment there.  Genuine GFO is my recommendation.  I don't know how long it lasts, but I'm guessing more than 10 years.

We actually have a piece of duct tape over the drain hole that drains the prop shaft area into the bilge.  It's mostly to allow us to wipe up any water that gets in here when we empty the raw water strainer.  We loosen the strainer and slip a large Ziploc bag under it and let it fall into the bag so that we can carry it to the sink without dripping everywhere.

We had a PSS Shaft Seal for several years prior.  No problems with that really.  If you don't burp it, the unvented models can squeal or overheat.  If you use reverse, cavitation can force air bubbles into the shaft seal as well and it's hard to know if that happened or not.  It was never really a problem.

But in the end, I felt that burping the shaft seal all the time let in more water than the GFO ever did after it was seated.  I bet every 320 that ever had a PSS/Carbon seal has that black "spin" line from the carbon water/dust mix that paints the muffler, cover board and the bilge.  I'll show you pictures of mine.  :)

Cheers!
-Jeff Hare