[C320-list] Dripless shaft???

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Jun 26 10:41:02 PDT 2018

I only used 2 wraps of 1/4".   In the end, 2 layers of 1/4 or 3 layers of 3/16 results in the difference of 1/16".  You don't want so much material in there that you can't get thread the nut on securely.  Also, be very sure to apply TefGel to the threads and between the locking nut and the packing nut.  That way you'll be able to adjust it if needed in 3 or 4 years without using bad words (or fewer anyway).

Either will be just fine but I find it easier to work with the larger pieces.

To cut it, I wrapped a length of GFO around the prop shaft so that they overlap.  Then where they overlap, I used a sharp new razorblade and the overlap area at a 45 degree angle so that when they are put into the packing nut the ends overlap themselves.  Did the same for the second piece and made sure that the joints of each piece were on opposite sides of the prop shaft.  When they get tightened, they will compress and squeeze against the prop shaft, so make sure you polish the prop shaft with super fine wet-dry paper.  I used 600 grit with water and polished it up.

I highly doubt you'll need to add more for many years.  I'm still on my original 2 rings but you're mileage will vary.

-Jeff Hare