[C320-list] Bomar hatch

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 17:54:24 PDT 2018

 I also redid the center hatch on mine and installed a new lens early last year  I completely removed the hatch frame from the boat and did all the work at home. I cleaned, then temporarily covered the deck hole with a wood panel covered with plastic taped in place.  I did not take the frame apart and did not remove the seal.
I removed my old cracked lens easily by cutting carefully with a razor knife, and cleaned out the old sealant by careful scraping and acetone wiping. I taped the upper frame edge and left the new lens protective paper on (the surface that would be the outside surface when completed). I made sure the rubber seal was stretched out well (I actually stretched it with masking tape underneath) and then placed a bead of sealant (black Dow Corning 795) to place the lens onto.  Once centered well, I placed a full gallon jug in the center of the lens (on the protective paper) to keep it in place and put uniform pressure on the rubber seal, then applied more sealant around the edge and smoothed it out with my finger and allowed the sealant to cure 2 days. I immediately removed the frame tape very carefully, but didn't remove the lens protective paper until after the 2 days of sealant curing.
I rebedded the hatch frame onto the boat with butyl tape and all has been great since.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 (#32)
Holland, MI