[C320-list] Cabin Leak

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Mar 27 12:05:02 PDT 2018

Ah... The ole dripping light trick.

Anyone who hasn't, should check this out.  Pop off the inner white trim rings from your side opening portlights and check so see if the hatch bolts are loose.  Mine were so loose they rattled and essentially the side hatches were relying on the caulking to keep them against the hull.  It caused leaking in-between the hull and the liner in my case and dripped out one of the lights.

It was simple to tighten them up.  Never leaked again.  Your mileage may vary.

The genoa track is also a good possibility for leaks except that it's unlikely that it would drip out the forward light if that were the case.  My other bet would be that your mast step bolts are leaky.  Rather than rebed anything, get a bottle of "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure", really, not kidding.  It's got the consistency of alcohol but is a little like white super glue.  It wicks into the smallest cracks and clogs/glues/hardens up. Apply it until it stops soaking in.  Let it dry, then try again.  When it accepts no more, that spot will probably not leak again.

Again, this is great for a lot of little fixes like sealing genoa track bolts, hatch screws, etc.  Not as perm. as proper rebedding but it can help you know whether that's the real problem or not.

-Jeff Hare