[C320-list] Cabin Leak

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 17:46:55 PDT 2018

 My worst "nagging" leak has been where I get drips from the low corner of the small Bowmar hatch in the head.  Brown-stained drips of water would show up on the head floor. This was strange, like your leak, where it didn't leak right away.....showed up after a rain.....and continued to seep for a long while.  I suspected and therefore pulled the traveler and rebeded it. I found wet mount holes.  So, I think water would gradually leak there and slowly work its way down through the cabin top (and the encapsulated wood....picking up the "staining") to the exit point at the hatch edge.  I still haven't had enough time to know for sure if that indeed was the problem, since we did this fix late in the season, then covered the boat.  Time will tell!
I also suspected the center cover over the top, sliding hatch.  Mine was not caulked around the outside seam.  So, I caulked it and also pulled the mount screws and slathered caulk on them when reinserting them.
We also had a seep on our starboard jib car track.  So, we rebeded that last year.  Is your small forward, starboard jib car track a possible leak source near your problem?
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 (hull #32)
Holland, MI