[C320-list] Port gate stanchion replacement

Daryl Hunt drhunt at rochester.rr.com
Sat May 5 12:25:53 PDT 2018

Hi Ken - At some point, possibly before I even owned the boat, the gate
stanchion was bent inward.  The outboard corner of the triangular plate
was bent and the weld to the stanchion was cracked.   I considered
having it rewelded but upon removal I could see that the bolt weld under
the plate was also cracked. Good idea though. I was able to bend the
forward section to match the deck holes.  I may now try to bend the
forward plate to lay flat on the toe rail.

Best regards,
Daryl

(585) 233-7814

On 5/5/2018 2:24 PM, Ken Geiger wrote:
> Hi Daryl.  May I ask why you are replacing the port gate stanchion?  Our port stanchion was bent over when our winter structure failed under a snow load that slipped off the tarping of the boat beside us.
>
> We took the stanchion off, with some difficult maneuvering and had it straightened in a press.  Amazingly it returned to its original shape. With great maneuvering difficulties and some special coat hanger tools and duct seal to hold nuts to the tools we got it back on.  I also made a special tool to hold the base of the more forward stanchions under my foot while I levered them more straight using a pipe.
>

>   Regards
>
> Ken

---