[C320-list] Word on small inverter

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 06:26:05 PDT 2018

Some years ago I bought a small inverter, maybe 600 or 800W, don't remember exactly. I connected it via a 12V outlet on the main panel. For some reason, I felt it wasn't putting out so I called the company. They told me that the unit can detect if connected directly to the battery and would only provide more than 400W when connected directly (or close to) the battery. I don't remember seeing anything in the instructions about that limitation. I returned the unit in exchange for a 400W unit. 400W should be close to 30A which is more than enough for TV, laptop, etc.: small loads. I wouldn't pull more than 20-25A for very long as the unit will overheat. (This is just from personal experience. I am not an Elec-engineer. Just an old boat hack.)

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)