[C320-list] Thoughts on Sails

Gerald Rouillard pearson39b at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 12:45:24 PST 2018

Jeff,

Interesting that your should ask about full or partial batten set-ups.  I used to sail Hunter 310s for a captained charter operator.  One of the boats had partial - and two of the others had full- batten configurations.  Of the three, the partial batten boat was the fastest when we would race each other!  Now, the battens may or may not have been the only factor, but I can also tell you the lighter sails were also easier to raise and less hassle getting past the lazy-jack lines.

When I was shopping sails for another boat a few years back, two major lofts on San Francisco Bay recommended against full battens in favor of partials.  I went with that recommendation and never regretted it.

BTW, I'm considering having a luff pad sewn into my 25 year old, stock Catalina 135 Genoa.  I don't want to hi-jack your post, but I'm wondering if that was one of your considerations here...

Sailor Jerry,
Wind Song, Hull #283

Sent from my iPad