[C320-list] Cooling system

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 09:26:42 PDT 2018

Agree with the previous post that the only way to replace the elbow is to take it off the boat where leverage can be applied.  That said, I would have never been able to do mine on the dock.  I needed a big vise and a big cheater wrench to get it apart.  The elbow builds up with carbon and corrosion products over time.  My Yanmar dealer said that they typically replace the elbow on this engine in the 5-7 year timeframe.  As it gets restricted, the temp rises and you see the white steam in the exhaust.  The other thing to recognize is that Yanmar made a heat exchanger upgrade at some point from a two pass to a four pass bundle to improve the cooling on the system.  My engine is in a 2005 C-320.  I simply bought the new 4 pass bundle from Yanmar, pulled the aft cover plate and replaced the bundle.  This has helped immensely as my cooling was marginal at full rpm even with a new elbow.

Joe Luciano
Second Wind
2005 C-320

Sent from my iPhone