[C320-list] Cooling system

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Fri Oct 12 12:10:21 PDT 2018

Rich,

I didn't do this myself - I had a mechanic do it because I had additional concerns about what damage had been done to the engine when the elbow clogged. But based on some info that I just found online, it appears that the junction piece between the Exhaust elbow and the mixing elbow is right hand on one end and left hand on the other end. Theoretically enabling you to unscrew it in place to get the elbow off. One of the forum posters states that the threads in the mixing elbow are left-hand and the threads in the exhaust elbow are right-hand. The junction I refer to is pictured in the article here. And the parts are labeled. Don't mix up the terminology between the "exhaust" elbow and the "mixing" elbow. Two different parts.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/removing-yanmar-3ym20-mixing-elbow-127983.html

However, easy removal is seldom the case with these things if they were assembled without anti-seize compound, especially if they've been assembled for a long time. The best advice is to remove the entire assembly by removing the 4 bolts and taking the exhaust elbow off the engine.

Then you can put the assembly in a vise and use large pipe wrenches to "encourage" it to turn. Failing that, maybe a torch will help loosen things up. There just isn't room in the engine bay and the engine moves around in the mounts when you tug on the exhaust.

Obviously, when you reattach the manifold to the engine, you will want to clean the mating surfaces and install a new manifold gasket as well to avoid exhaust leaks.

Hope this helps,

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us