[C320-list] Battery Charger Update

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Sat Oct 13 07:16:18 PDT 2018

Hi Jeff,

In the future, perhaps a better approach is to use covered terminal blocks
instead of soldering to reduce the wire size.  Crimp on heat shrink adhesive
filled ring terminals on the ends of each of the 8 and 12 wires and drop
them over a stud tighten the nut down and you can safely reduce a wire size
this way.

Generally speaking, soldering stranded wire isn't desirable in any
applications where there is vibration.  The spot where the loose strands
meet the rigid solder joint, they can begin to break off over time.  Secure
it and you'll probably be fine, but I think the terminal block is the right
way to go.

Also, if you're going to join wires, you should use adhesive line heat
shrink tubing instead of tape/liquid.  Put a length of the tubing over one
side of the wires first, do the soldering/crimping/whatever, then slide the
tubing over the joint and shrink it down.  My preference is to use CLEAR
adhesive filled shrink tubing so I can slip a label inside prior to
shrinking it.  Then I'll have a label on it that is protected and easy to
read.   Another tip is when labeling a wire where you're putting a terminal
on the end, to just use a 1" section of the clear tubing just to protect the
label.   Set it back a couple inches from the end of the wire (with the
label inside) so that if you need to replace the connector in the future,
you'll still have some room to cut off the old connector and put on a new
one without losing the label.

-Jeff Hare