[C320-list] Price matching

Rob & Deb Evans sailors4 at cox.net
Fri Oct 19 02:38:03 PDT 2018

Numerous academics and economists believe that price-matching policies
ultimately encourage higher overall (average) pricing.  The airline industry
provides one of the best examples of the use of differential or "tiered"
pricing strategy (charging different prices for the same product to
different customers).  They make extraordinary profits on the top pricing
tiers, and the lower tiers simply provide volume that helps to offset their
base costs.  A similar thing is happening with price matching - let those
who value convenience over cost pay a highly inflated price, and supplement
sales volume by being competitive only when forced to be.

Given the option, I prefer to direct my business toward retailers that
endeavour to be competitive at the outset.  Since most of my major purchases
(such as bottom paint at US$200+ per gallon, or instrument packages at
US$2k+) can be planned with sufficient lead time for shipping, it is usually
only smaller items that I purchase spur-of-the-moment.  Recently I purchased
online some engine electrical components for US$40, including shipping, that
would have cost about US$70 at West Marine.  West Marine is likely pursuing
a pricing strategy that their analysis favors, and understandably so.  As
consumers, our ability to alter the behaviour of any large corporation is by
altering our purchasing behaviour.

Rob