[C320-list] Mounting New Heat Exchanger Tank on Perkins M30 Engine

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 11:59:11 PDT 2018

I am proactively replacing my heat exchanger tank because the coolant filler neck has a cracked lip (so the "radiator cap" doesn't secure completely)  Also, the tank is rusty the seal doesn't look tight where the neck seals on the tank (I understand it is pressed into place, not screwed in).  I have received my new tank (OEM), rubber boots/clamps and new exhaust elbow gasket from Great Britain. The tank cost $210 and I received it in only 3 days via DHL https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-perama-m30-heat-exchanger-casing/  I highly recommend Parts4engines as a source of parts (Perkins, and I see also Yanmar).  I previously also bought a water pump from them.

The new gasket that goes between the engine block/manifold and the tank is metal.  Has anyone else replaced their tank?  Do I just use this metal gasket alone, or apply a sealant to the gasket/mating surfaces?  If a sealant is recommended, which one?
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat320 "Mayan Sun"  (#32)
Holland, MI