[C320-list] Rigging Tie Rods

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 4 07:19:28 PDT 2018

Michael, I've done the chain plates a few times and dealt with tie rods you mention. What I've done is to tighten by hand then turn with wrench until snug. The loads from the mast are transferred directly to the hull via these rods with little to no effect on the deck. I see no reason why they need to be tighter than is sufficient to stay in-place and transfer the loads without movement.
Should you talk to someone at Catalina, please let us know what they say.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)