[C320-list] Rigging Tie Rods

Michael Leschisin mleschisin at imagestudios.com
Tue Sep 4 16:23:41 PDT 2018

Hey Guys,

I know a couple of you were interested so here”s what I found out today regarding the tie rod tension.

I talked with Catalina Direct and they said they have no set torque guidelines for how tight the rods should be, they simply “snug them tight” with no rigging load on the shrouds (obviously the mast is not set) before they ship the boats out.  I talked with One of the riggers at Chicago Marine Rigging and he said he tightens the rod just until he hears the first creak or little noise from the deck.  I know all of this is pretty unscientific but that’s what I’ve got.

I think I’m going to slack down my rigging this fall when I pull the boat for the winter and tighten the rods to a “firmly tight but not creaking” setting. As I mentioned I had one nut on the lower shroud rod that was finger loose so I have to deal with at lease that much.

Hope this helps a bit,

Michael Leschisin
C320 #995
Wild Blue Yonder