[C320-list] battery compartment, box

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 8 14:31:52 PDT 2018

John, thanks for that. As for venting hydrogen gas, batteries will vent hydrogen only when under charge, and with a healthy battery, only when fully charged and charging energy is being dissipated by heat and gas. My take is that under normal conditions, the only time venting is a real issue is when equalizing batteries. With a modern 3-stage digital charger, the batteries should never be overcharged. Still, no one wants to assume that other problems can't occur.
The comment about protecting pos terminals with a boot is good advice.
As for venting, there are battery caps designed to recombine the H and Co2 into water and return it to the cell. Not sure if effective on a boat where the batteries are moving.
Also, re. venting, Yandina.com makes a Battery Ventilator Controller that will ventilate the battery compartment automatically when charging. This may mean adding some vent openings in the compartment.
Good post,

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)