[C320-list] Westerbeke 30B-3: Fuel pump interlocked to ; ow oil pressure switch

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Sat Sep 8 18:39:23 PDT 2018

Mike,
On my Westerbeke powered hull #277 I learned in my second year that   a broken spade blade connector on the oil  pressure sender switch set off the low oil pressure alarm  buzzer while the engine continued to run. To circumvent the alarm until I could secure a new oil sender I simply connected the two oil sender wires to bypass the oil pressure sender. In this instance  I learned that it was apparent when the fuel pump continued to run ("click") when the ignition key was turned on while bypassing the oil pressure sender switch.  Not a condition to be tolerated for very long for safety reasons because the fuel pump could continue to run or leak while the engine stopped running if the ignition switch was not switched off. I had another  instances of a broken oil pressure spade on my 4 year old Westerbeke again due to the rigidity of the oil sending wires until I added a section of softer wire that I coiled to provide some flex as the engine vibrated.

When the engine stopped  few years later  I was convinced that I was out of fuel while motoring up to a transient dock with just under a quarter tank  registering on my fuel gauge.  So, after successfully sailing up to that transient dock on the headsail when the wind was blowing off the dock was not enough excitement,  I later learned that I had a broken power lead to the fuel pump.  I had not really run out of fuel after all. How I learned that fact was interesting because  I initially believed that I had run out of fuel and after adding a gallon of fuel, the engine fired right up.  But, while I was in the cabin  while the engine was running I noted that I could not hear the fuel pump run ("click").  I pulled off the engine cover and then discovered the broken fuel pump power lead had separated from the connector I had installed having replaced the fuel pump a few years earlier. (BTW,  with a NAPA generic fuel pump for a Kubota diesel garden tractor that continues to work well to this day.)  I repaired that lead and continued on without the need to add  more fuel because the fuel pump could draw from the bottom of my quarter filled tank. Lesson learned is that the Westerbeke engine will run even when fuel can gravity feed the fuel system after the fuel pump fails,  as long as you have enough fuel in the tank which was about a quarter full according to my fuel gauge.

Why is this important....? Because if you had more than about  a quarter tank of fuel when your oil pressure sender wire broke, your engine may have run as long as it was above the gravity feed level because a portion of the fuel tank is higher than the fuel pump and fuel distribution line on your Westerbeke engine as Is the case with my hull # which is close to your hull #. Later hull #s switched to a different power supplier following the Westerbeke run of hulls. If you had added any fuel to your tank thinking that you had run out of fuel, your broken oil sender wire may be a random fail while your fuel pump may have already failed. So, check to learn if you can hear the fuel pump "click" when your engine is running and if you cannot hear the pump  run, take the two oil sender wires and link them to temporarily  and then turn on the ignition switch without starting the engine because if the fuel pump is working, you should hear the fuel pump clicking. Be certain to also check the power lead to your fuel pump. My OEM fuel pump failed after about 600 hours and after replacing it with a NAPA model, I now carry a spare NAPA pump for less than $30 when a red painted OEM pump was well over $100 about 20 years ago

Do my observation impact your oil sender wire conclusions?

Rick
  My-Ria,  95' 320 Hull # 277